Joann Selleck, Esq.
Ms. Selleck has more than 30 years' experience litigating and advising clients concerning complex civil matters. As a mediator, she has mediated disputes that involve insurance claims and bad faith, employment, discrimination, HOA’s, commercial contracts, landlord-tenant; tort claims; premises liability, property damage/theft; construction deficiencies, consumer and business disputes, homeowner disputes, among others.
Prior to her mediation practice, Ms. Selleck had extensive experience representing clients involved in significant property insurance and bad faith disputes, many involving highly technical issues leading to disagreements as to coverage, causation, valuation of damages, policy exclusions, underwriting concerns, duties as between multiple layers of coverage/participating insurers, appraisal, terms and conditions of insurance policies and subrogation. Venues included California as well as in numerous other state and federal courts, as well as locations outside of the US.
Those insurance matters have also involved:
- Broker disputes, bankruptcy and/or mortgagee claims, fraud allegations, employee dishonesty, sue and labor claims, RICO claims, among others.
- Numerous types of policies including commercial property, homeowners, entertainment, product contamination, and policies specific to earthquake, fine arts/jewelry, crime, builders’ risk and flood to name a few.
- Subjects have included claims for property damage, business interruption, extra expense and loss of use, misrepresentation, landslide, mold, pollution, construction deficiencies, food/product contamination, catastrophic wildfires, earthquakes, contribution, bad faith allegations, duty to investigate, genuine dispute on coverage, and application of deductibles, among numerous other subjects.
Ms. Selleck has been a frequent lecturer, instructor, seminar/webinar presenter for bar associations, trade groups, insurance companies and attorneys.
Panel appointments include San Diego Superior Court panel of mediators for civil cases; California Dept. of Insurance panel of mediators for wildfire claim disputes.Education and Training
- Pepperdine Law School Strauss Institute - "Mediating the Litigated Case"
- National Conflict Resolution Center - "Introductory Mediation Skills"
- Numerous ABA and other Dispute Resolution programs
- Villanova Law School, JD
- Ripon College, BA
- CA Dept. of Fair Employment & Housing (DFEH) mediator
- National Dispute Resolution Ctr. mediator for San Diego Small Claims Court.
- Board of Counsellors of Torrey Pines Association (preservation of state natural reserve).
- Recently Executive Committee and chair of Audit Committee of Board of Trustees of Ripon College.
- Selleck Mediation and The Selleck Firm APC, San Diego, CA - 2017 to current.
- Cozen O'Connor, San Diego, CA - various positions - shareholder, senior counsel, office managing partner, associate - 1986 to 2016
- Asst. Public Defender, West Chester, PA - 1981 to 1986
- Previously managed three CA offices of multi-office national law firm with responsibilities including employee relationships, budget and marketing execution/oversight.
- California Bar
- San Diego County Bar Assn.- Ex. Comm. Section on ADR
- American Bar Assn. (ABA) - Alternative Dispute Resolution Section; TIPS - Property Section
- Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA)
- San Diego Lawyer's Club