Joann Selleck, Esq.
More than 30 years' experience litigating and advising clients concerning property insurance and insurance bad faith disputes. Disputes involved highly technical issues leading to disagreements as to coverage, causation, valuation of damages, policy exclusions, underwriting concerns, rescission, duties as between multiple layers of coverage/participating insurers, appraisal, various terms and conditions of insurance policies and subrogation.
Cases have also involved RICO allegations, subrogation, broker disputes, bankruptcy and/or mortgagee claims, fraud allegations, employee dishonesty, sue and labor claims, among others. Types of polices have included commercial property, homeowners, entertainment, risk retention groups, and policies specific to earthquake, fine arts/jewelry, crime, builders risk and flood to name a few.
Subjects have included claims for property damage, business interruption, extra expense and loss of use, fine arts, misrepresentation, landslide, mold, pollution, construction deficiencies, food/product contamination, catastrophic wildfires, earthquakes, contribution, bad faith allegations, duty to investigate, genuine dispute on coverage, and application of deductibles among numerous other subjects.
Litigation has involved venues in California and outside of the US, as well as in numerous other state and federal courts. Frequent lecturer, instructor, seminar/webinar presenter for bar associations, trade groups, insurance companies and attorneys. Trainer for various insurance certifications for insurance industry.
Currently mediator on the San Diego Superior Court panel of mediators for civil cases.Education and Training
- Pepperdine Law School Strauss Institute - 42 hour program and certificate, "Mediating the Litigated Case"
- National Conflict Resolution Center - 32 hour program and certificate, "Introductory Mediation Skills"
- Numerous ABA Dispute Resolution programs
- Villanova Law School, JD
- Ripon College, BA
- National Dispute Resolution Ctr. volunteer mediator for San Diego Small Claims Court - various disputes including HOAs; landlord tenant; tort claims; property damage/theft; insurance; collections; construction deficiencies, to name a few.
- Executive committee and chair of audit committee of Board of Trustees of Ripon College.
- Board of Counsellors of Torrey Pines Association (preservation of state natural reserve).
- Selleck Mediation and The Selleck Firm APC, San Diego, CA - 2017 to current.
- Cozen O'Connor, San Diego, CA - various positions - shareholder, senior counsel, office managing partner, associate - 1986 to 2016
- Asst. Public Defender, West Chester, PA - 1981 to 1986
- Previously managed three CA offices of multi-office national law firm with responsibilities including employee relationships, budget and marketing execution and oversight.
- California Bar
- San Diego County Bar Association
- ABA - Alternative Dispute Resolution Section; TIPS - Property Section
- Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA)
- Federal Bar Association
- San Diego Lawyer's Club